What you do to resolve a complaint depends on what the person complaining wants to happen and the nature of their complaint.
If it is a serious claim like assault or stalking, you need to involve the police or a lawyer.
Some complaints will need to be dealt with by your formal procedure.
Or you can take simple steps to deal with the complaint internally, including:
- stopping the offensive behaviour without making judgments
- removing anything offensive – graffiti, posters, screen savers
- discussing support options with both sides
- asking them to consider meeting to conciliate
- monitoring the situation to ensure offensive behaviour is not happening
- monitoring to ensure neither party is victimised
- letting all staff know how you expect them to behave in the workplace
Make sure that you:
- make brief notes of your actions
- keep the staff involved informed of any action you take
- maintain confidentiality.
Discuss any continuing problems with your senior management, human resource department or seek advice from the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Last updated on 12 May, 2011 - 16:50.