Home › EO for business › Employers › Staffing › Dismissing, retrenching and retiring staff › Retiring staff ›
Why do staff retire?
People retire for many different reasons.
- Health issues – They may no longer want or be able to work because of injury or ill health.
- Nature of the work - Staff in physically demanding jobs are more likely to retire earlier than others.
- Personal demands – They may have responsibilities outside of work, such as caring for family.
- Leisure – They may want more time to play.
- Community interests – They may want more time for volunteer work, hobbies, sport, travel and family.
- Retrenchment or dismissal – They may be unable to find other work.
You can retain your staff beyond retirement age by offering phased retirement or flexible working conditions which can benefit both your business and the staff.
Last updated on 28 October, 2010 - 11:31.
- EO for you
- EO for business
- Employers' responsibilities
- Dealing with complaints in the workplace
- Employer toolkit
- Shops and services
- Chiefs for Gender Equity