There are a number of points to consider before a job interview.
- Find out if you will be asked to complete any exercises at, or prior to, the interview.
- Take relevant documents to the interview for example, registration or licence certificates.
- Practice answering interview questions based on the selection criteria.
- Find out about the organisation you will be working for.
- Make a list of questions you would like to ask the interviewers.
- Be sure of the exact time and place of the interview. Give yourself plenty of time to get there.
- Memorise the name and title of the interviewers.
- Dress appropriately for the interview, greet the interviewers with a smile and a firm handshake while maintaining eye contact.
- Once you hear the result of the interview, ask for feedback on how you went.
Different interview questions
Here are a few questions you might get asked at an interview.
- Tell us a little about yourself.
- What words would you use to describe yourself?
- Why did you apply for the position?
- How can you transfer your past experiences and current skills to this position?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Provide an example of when you felt you coped well under pressure.
- Can you talk about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer?
- Tell me about a time when things weren't going right on the job and how you dealt with the situation.
With this type of questioning the interviewer raises past experiences and probes your behaviour and how you may have responded to different situations.
Use the S-T-A-R system to answer these questions - Situation, Task, Action and Result. Think of a situation where something critical occurred, describe what needed to be done, how you responded and the outcomes.
- What is your intended career path?
- Where do you see yourself in five years time?
- When can you start?
Some questions should not be asked during a job interview. It may be discriminatory for an employer to rely on this type of information when assessing your ability to do the job.
- Do you intend to have children?
- Are you married?
- How old are you?
- Where do you come from?
- Do you have to wear that head scarf?
- Have you ever had a WorkCover claim?
If you think you have been discriminated against as a result of questions asked at an interview, contact us for advice.
Last updated on 10 October, 2013 - 15:42.
- EO for you
- What is discrimination?
- Discrimination laws
- Making a complaint
- EO for business
- EO for schools
- EO resources
- About us