How to be a Contact Person
Contact people need to fully understand and be confident in their role in the workplace. Here are some suggested actions for contact people when staff raise issues of discrimination or harassment:
- Thank the person for making contact and raising the problem.
- Explain your role and how it is limited to providing information and support, not complaint handling.
- Explain the workplace policies and procedures.
- Explain the options to address the issue and the pros and cons.
- Keep confidentiality, providing the issue does not need to be referred to management.
- Keep a record of action taken.
- Get help when you need it.