Complaint handling checklist
Here is a checklist for complaints that you can display to remind customers and staff of your commitment to handling complaints fairly:
- All businesses get complaints - it's the way you handle them that makes you stand out.
- Listen, say sorry and thank the customer for letting you know.
- Record details in a complaints book or file – read it back to the customer to be sure you've understood.
- If you can't fix the problem now, let the customer know it will be followed up promptly.
- Pass the details of the complaint to the person who can deal with it.
- Contact the customer and think about offering an apology, a discount, voucher or free product.
- Move quickly - aim to fix the problem within 48 hours.
- Check that the customer is satisfied and record the outcome.
This complaint handling checklist also appears on a quick reference guide for your counter or desktop, along with a customer service charter. These are currently out of stock, but you can use the information above to develop your own resource.
A complaint handling checklist can be used in conjuction with a complaint handling policy or procedure and an equal opportunity policy. Adapt the complaint handling checklist to suit your business.