As well as South Australian laws, a number of Commonwealth Acts relate to equal opportunity law. They are:
- Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984
- Age Discrimination Act 2004
- Workplace Gender Equality Act 2012
- Privacy Act 1998
These laws overlap with South Australian equal opportunity law. The main difference is in the types of discrimination which are covered. The following types of discrimination are covered by Commonwealth laws but not South Australian laws:
- discrimination, harassment and bullying (in employment only) based on a person’s criminal record, trade union activity, political opinion, religion or social origin.
- discrimination in relation to the identity of your partner.
- alleged breaches of human rights against the Commonwealth and its agencies.