Making a complaint about sexual harassment

The Office of the Commissioner for Equal Opportunity can provide information regarding sexual harassment and can act on complaints. 

Advice and information

If you need further information about sexual harassment, you can contact us using our online enquiry form.

You can also email or call 1800 188 163

Making a sexual harassment complaint

A complaint to the Commissioner must be in writing and be from (or on behalf of) a person who has been the subject of sexual harassment.

If you are lodging a complaint on behalf of someone else, you must have their written consent to do so.

A complaint cannot be anonymous. 

You should lodge your complaint within 12 months of the sexual harassment occurring. 

After lodging the complaint

Once your complaint is lodged, the Commissioner will assess the complaint to ensure they have jurisdiction to deal with it.

The Commissioner will have jurisdiction where the complaint relates to a ground protected by the Act and where the alleged discrimination occurred in an area of public life (including employment). 

There are a range of actions that can then be taken including:

  • having a conciliation conference between the parties
  • referring the matter to the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT) or the South Australian Employment Tribunal (SAET). 

Criminal investigations

If the subject matter of the complaint is under criminal investigation, or the respondent has been (or is to be) charged with a criminal offence in relation to the matter, the Commissioner may not proceed with dealing with a complaint until the criminal investigation has been completed, or the proceedings for the offence have been disposed of, withdrawn or permanently stayed. 

What to do next

If you need more information about complaints and the scope of the Equal Opportunity Act in South Australia, make an enquiry using our online form

If you are ready to lodge a complaint, complete our online complaint form